The BRE standard BES 6001 has been published to enable construction product manufacturers to ensure and then prove that their products have been made with constituent materials that have been responsibly sourced. The standard describes a framework for the organisational governance, supply chain management and environmental and social aspects that must be addressed in order to ensure the responsible sourcing of construction products.
Independent, third party assessment and certification against the requirements of BES 6001 then give the organisation the ability to prove that an effective system for ensuring responsible sourcing exists and added credibility to any claims made.
BES 6001 is relevant to any organization that manufactures construction products from foundation products such as cement and steel to concrete pipes and blocks, windows, flooring, roof tiles, plastics, wood products.
Whilst it is more relevant to the B2B market, BES 6001 is also relevant to retail organisations that sell construction products such as the large DIY stores.
What are the benefits?
- Demonstrate to stakeholders that you source products responsibly
- Become more competitive to increase opportunities and prospects
- Make more informed decisions when selecting suppliers
- Improve overall social and environmental performance
- Gain access to schemes such as BREEAM and Code for Sustainable Homes